Having a 5 year old and a sweet tooth myself, means I am always looking for new flavours and new ideas for dessert.
Although I love so many sorbet choices, I am really a sucker for the creaminess of Ice-cream.
When I was a little girl we would always detour via the Ice-cream shop on the way home from the beach and I loved some of the old fashioned recipes they had to offer.
As I have gotten older and more educated on what actually goes into traditional bulk and national chain ice-cream shops, I have been conscious of these invisible fats and artificial sweeteners and binding agents required to ensure the longevity of the product in these types of outlets. Because of this, I had a sabbatical for many years, but this ol’ fav treat has made a comeback in our house but with only the healthy raw kind. Natural ingredients all the way.
This Butterbomb Choc Chip Ice-cream recipe (our kids get to name my desserts) is quick and easy and you can make a big batch ahead of time so that you always have a stash in your freezer for when the kids friends come over.
- 2 bananas, frozen
- ¼ cup coconut water
- 1 Tbsp maca powder
- 1 Tbsp almond butter
- 2 medjool dates
- 2 Tbsp sweet cacao nibs
- Slice bananas into 1 inch pieces and place into a zip lock bag or container and leave in the freezer overnight.
- Place frozen bananas, maca powder, almond butter, medjool dates and cacao nibs into a Vitamix or high speed blender.
- Slowly add coconut water whilst on high speed for 1 minute.
- Each as much as you can in one sitting
- Then pour any left overs into container and store in the freezer